High Risk Breast Cancer Center
Despite recent national recommendations, early detection of breast cancer saves lives. The High Risk Breast Cancer Center at Miami Valley Hospital South is a comprehensive program for women at increased risk to develop breast cancer.
The High Risk Breast Cancer Center provides a multi-disciplinary approach to screening and testing women at an increased risk of developing breast cancer. Patients have access to the center’s full-time breast cancer coordinators to help with each step of the treatment process. These specially-trained coordinators act as a personal support system to offer a patient a more complete picture of what is happening and to guide the patient through the treatment process.
The center offers cancer-focused genetic counseling and genetic testing for inherited cancer risks. The center also provides ongoing care and surveillance for women participating in the program.
We can provide patients and their family members with:
- A review of personal health history and risk factors
- A detailed family cancer history review spanning four generations
- A physician consultation to review family and medical histories, previous medical imaging and, if applicable, a clinical breast exam
- A risk assessment to help determine a personalized risk for cancer
- Genetic counseling by a licensed certified genetic counselor regarding genetic testing which may detect inherited risk factors in genes linked to hereditary breast cancer
- Health education on topics such as breast screenings, self-breast exams and lifestyle modifications
- Long-term follow-up care by following patients for their ongoing breast health needs every six months to a year as determined by their individual needs
Should treatment be necessary, the center’s team can work cooperatively with the patient’s health care team or connect the patient with a multi-disciplinary group of board-certified physicians from Miami Valley Hospital. If treatment takes place at Miami Valley Hospital or Miami Valley Hospital South, each patient’s case is presented at a weekly, multi-disciplinary breast care conference where physicians from multiple specialty areas meet to review and collaborate to determine the best care plan for the patient.
The staff of the High Risk Breast Cancer Center includes a licensed certified genetic counselor, certified breast care coordinators and a board-certified physician breast surgeon. The team works cooperatively with the patient’s physician and health care team.
Preparing for Breast Cancer Testing or Treatment
Premier Health Library
The Premier Health Library offers a wealth of information about breast cancer. Learn about conditions, treatments, how to prepare for surgery and much more.
Content Updated: November 9, 2014