Awards and Accreditations
When it comes to heart health and heart care, Miami Valley Hospital is ranked among the best in the nation. Excellent cardiac care and rehabilitation are close to home, and the convenience and professional heart care are noticed across the country.
Healthgrades is a leading independent health care ratings organization. Using Medicare hospitalization records for 2011, 2012, and 2013, the most recent Healthgrades Hospital Quality in America study analyzed patient outcomes at 4,500 non-federal hospitals in the United States and compared actual performance to predicted performance for specific patient outcomes. Five-star ratings are awarded to hospitals with better than expected outcomes.
Miami Valley Hospital is the Recipient of the Healthgrades Distinguished Hospital Award – Clinical Excellence™ for 2 Years in a row (2014-2015). This prestigious distinction places us among the top five percent of hospitals nationwide for clinical performance.
Additionally, Healthgrades recognized Miami Valley Hospital with the following cardiac quality awards:
- One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery™ in 2014
- One of Healthgrades American's Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ for 4 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award™ for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2015 Coronary Intervention Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2015)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2015
- Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery for 6 Years in a Row (2010-2015)
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2015)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 9 Years in a Row (2007-2015)
American Nurses Credential Center Magnet Recognition
Miami Valley Hospital received Magnet certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in 2004. At that time, Miami Valley Hospital was the first hospital in Dayton, the fifth in Ohio, and one of only 115 hospitals nationwide to receive such distinction for outstanding nursing practices. Miami Valley Hospital earned a re-certification in 2008 and 2013.
Magnet certification recognizes that the nursing staff of the hospital meets high standards of patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practice. The program is based on quality indicators and standards of nursing practice. Additionally, hospitals applying for this recognition must provide an environment that empowers nurses, values their contributions, and supports nursing leadership. According to the American Nurses Credentialing Center, Magnet hospitals consistently deliver better patient outcomes than non-Magnet hospitals.
Beacon Award for Excellence™
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) created the Beacon Award for Excellence™ to recognize individual nursing units that distinguish themselves by improving every facet of patient care. According to the AACN, earning a Beacon Award for Excellence™ is a significant milestone on the path to exceptional patient care and healthy work environments. The award recognizes unit caregivers who successfully improve patient outcomes and align practices with the AACN's Six Healthy Work Environment Standards. Units that achieve this three-year, three-level award with a gold, silver, or bronze designation meet national criteria consistent with Magnet recognition, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, and the National Quality Healthcare Award.
In 2011, Miami Valley's Heart and Vascular Intensive Care was the first critical care unit in Dayton to receive this distinction for demonstrating success in developing, deploying, and integrating unit-based performance criteria for optimal outcomes. Three years later, in 2014, MVH earned its Silver Award by meeting the following evidence-based Beacon Award for Excellence™ criteria: leadership structures and systems; appropriate staffing and staff engagement; effective communication, knowledge management, learning and development; evidence-based practice and processes; outcome measurements.
American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) Certification
Miami Valley Hospital’s cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation programs have been recognized and certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) for their commitment to improving the quality of life by enhancing standards of care.
Our three-phase cardiac rehabilitation program includes exercise, education, counseling, and support for patients and their families. The AACVPR program certification is the only peer-reviewed accreditation process designed to review individual programs for adherence to standards and guidelines developed by the AACVPR and other professional societies.
With certification, Miami Valley Hospital’s programs are recognized as leaders in the fields of cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation.
Content Updated: October 5, 2015
DISCLAIMER:Miami Valley Hospital does not have any control over the content of third-party websites and neither endorses nor accepts any responsibility for the content, products, and services on or sold on these websites. The symbol indicates a third-party website.