Awards and Accreditations
When it comes to heart health and heart care, Miami Valley Hospital is ranked among the best in the nation. Excellent cardiac care and rehabilitation are close to home, and the convenience and professional heart care are noticed across the country.
National Recognition for Heart Care
When it comes to patient heart care, Miami Valley Hospital is a leader in diagnosis, treatment, and overall cardiac care. Miami Valley Hospital has maintained consistent excellence, and has been recognized by Healthgrades, a leading independent health care rating company.
The most recent Healthgrades Hospital Quality in America study analyzed patient outcomes at 4,500 non-federal hospitals in the U.S., using Medicare hospitalization records for 2010, 2011, and 2012.
Healthgrades awarded Miami Valley Hospital these distinctions:
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ in 2014
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery™ in 2014
- One of Healthgrades American’s Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ three years in a row (2012 – 2014)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award™ in 2014
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award™ in 2014
- Ranked among the Top 5 percent in the nation for Overall Cardiac Services in 2014
- Ranked among the Top 5 percent in the nation for Cardiology Services in 2014
- Ranked among the Top 10 percent in the nation for Cardiac Surgery in 2014
- Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery five years in a row (2010-2014)
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2014
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack in 2014
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure eight years in a row (2007-2014)
American Nurses Credential Center Magnet Recognition
Miami Valley Hospital received Magnet certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in 2004. At that time, Miami Valley Hospital was the first hospital in Dayton, the fifth in Ohio, and one of only 115 hospitals nationwide to receive such distinction for outstanding nursing practices. Miami Valley Hospital earned a re-certification in 2008 and 2013.
Magnet certification recognizes that the nursing staff of the hospital meets high standards of patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practice. The program is based on quality indicators and standards of nursing practice. Additionally, hospitals applying for this recognition must provide an environment that empowers nurses, values their contributions, and supports nursing leadership. According to the American Nurses Credentialing Center, Magnet hospitals consistently deliver better patient outcomes than non-Magnet hospitals.
Beacon Award for Excellence™
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) created the Beacon Award for Excellence™ to recognize individual nursing units that distinguish themselves by improving every facet of patient care. The AACN Beacon Award signifies exceptional patient care through improved outcomes and greater overall satisfaction. In 2011, Miami Valley’s Heart and Vascular Intensive Care was the first critical care unit in Dayton to receive this distinction for demonstrating success in developing, deploying, and integrating unit-based performance criteria for optimal outcomes.
American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) Certification
Miami Valley Hospital’s cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation programs have been recognized and certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) for their commitment to improving the quality of life by enhancing standards of care.
Our three-phase cardiac rehabilitation program includes exercise, education, counseling, and support for patients and their families. The AACVPR program certification is the only peer-reviewed accreditation process designed to review individual programs for adherence to standards and guidelines developed by the AACVPR and other professional societies.
With certification, Miami Valley Hospital’s programs are recognized as leaders in the fields of cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation.