Is It Safe To Live Alone?
As a person ages, it can become difficult to determine if living alone is still safe. The following is a checklist to help determine if alternate living arrangements may be necessary.
- Has weakness or dizziness caused accidents or falls?
- Has the use of kitchen appliances become a problem due to forgetfulness?
- Is negotiating stairs a necessary part of the daily routine?
- Has medical equipment been prescribed (wheelchair, walker, cane), but is not being used?
- Have there been periods of depression, or loss of interest in living?
- Is there an inability or unwillingness to use the kitchen for food preparation?
- Have medical conditions developed related to poor nutrition (weight loss, anemia, malnutrition)?
- Are only specific foods eaten, none of which will meet nutritional needs
- Are meals skipped or forgotten?
Personal Care Needs
- Is getting to the toilet when necessary a problem?
- If there is incontinence, is there an inability or unwillingness to use protective undergarments or perform self clean-up?
- Is dressing independently and appropriately a problem?
- Can baths be taken safely and independently?
- Are verbal reminders necessary to take medication properly?
- Are incorrect doses of medication taken frequently, either accidentally or purposely?
- Do physical limitations (arthritis, shaking) making it difficult to take medications without spills or drops?
- If injections are necessary, are there problems measuring dosage or administering the injection?
- In case of a medical emergency, would there be difficulty in obtaining assistance?
- Is a hearing aid required, but has not been obtained or not used?
- Is managing personal finances difficult?
- Is disorientation or confusion in familiar settings a problem?
- Has wandering away from home without a specified destination become a concern?
- Have there been instances of inappropriate behavior in public (threatening others, etc)?
- Are there mental or emotional problems that might be a threat to others?
* Reference: Senior Resource
What do I do next?