About the Shaw Emergency and Trauma Center
The Miami Valley Hospital (MVH) Shaw Emergency and Trauma Center is the busiest emergency room in the state of Ohio. The staff, including board-certified Emergency Physicians and Emergency-trained Nurses, provide care for 95,000 visits a year. The facility was expanded and renovated in 2000 to make it one of the region's most cutting-edge emergency care facilities. The 72-bed Emergency Department has private rooms for all patients. Each room is equipped with a laptop computer for bedside registration, which puts the patient to care more quickly. The unit includes its own Imaging facility so patients can get a computed tomography (CT) scan without moving elsewhere in the hospital. The dedicated Stat Lab is open 24 hours a day for immediate testing and results. All aspects are focused on getting the patient to the right care as quickly as possible. The MVH Emergency Department is backed by the most extensive offering of specialized care in the region:
- Region's only Level I Trauma Center handling the most serious multiple-injury cases
- Home of CareFlight Air & Mobile Services, the region's most recognized emergency air ambulance
- Miami Valley heart care treatment starts with local emergency medical services (EMS). Working with these first responders, MVH Cardiology uses the Cardiac Alert Program and advanced monitoring equipment so they can confirm a heart attack before the patient arrives at MVH. This helps patients be ready for cardiac surgery the moment they are rushed in. Alerted Miami Valley cardiologists and staff can be ready, and patients can be taken directly to the Cath lab, where an angioplasty can be performed immediately, and cutting response time by up to 33 percent.
- MVH cardiologists are available 24 hours a day. By getting patients faster care, MVH Cardiology has significantly improved survival rates.
- The hospital's nationally recognized Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) provides comprehensive care for critically ill newborns.
- The MVH Perinatal Intensive Care Unit (PICU) provides specialized care for high and at-risk moms before, during and after birth and is the only PICU in Dayton.
- Designated Primary Stroke Center offering cutting-edge stroke and aneurysm care with effective, less invasive techniques
- Region's only Adult Burn Unit also performs intensive wound care
- Dayton's first Magnet Hospital noted for attracting the best nurses available
- The respected experts for EMS education
- The Access and Transfer Center is a time-saving tool that can give you peace of mind. With your call, we can expedite transfers from a hospital emergency department or inpatient unit directly to MVH. Physicians, emergency departments and intensive care units can call 1-866-330-3444 to admit a patient or arrange for transport via CareFlight Air and Mobile Services through the new MVH Access and Transfer Center.
With this level of expertise and experience, the MVH Emergency Department can handle any case that comes in the door. With the exception of trauma, emergency cases that can be handled at the MVH Main Campus Emergency Department can also be cared for at Miami Valley Hospital South.
What do I do next?