Find a Doctor

Search by Name

Search by Specialty

Search by Insurance

Search Within            Zipcode

  of  

Search Within

 miles of  

Shelby Hobbs: 71, Going on 50

At 71, Shelby Hobbs was in great shape. His wife Carol described him as 200 pounds and built like a 50-year-old. He still worked full-time, did sit-ups and rode his Harley. In 2005, he was out riding his motorcycle when a pick-up truck in front of him blocked his view of a pickup coming in the opposite lane. It also blocked the view of Shelby from the driver of the other truck. As he turned, the truck hit him and threw him over the top of the vehicle, and he landed on the road.

His injuries were so severe that he died at the scene and was revived by the paramedics. The collision caused his brain to bleed in seven places; his spleen was damaged beyond repair. He had a compound fracture below the right knee and all the muscles were severed above the knee. His right hip and pelvis were broken. Three ribs poked through his lungs. He had a torn aorta, a broken back, separated vertebrae, and a compound fracture of the right arm.

He was taken by CareFlight to MVH and treated at the Trauma Center. The physician later told Carol that 90 percent of the trauma cases as bad as Shelby die at the scene and the other 10 percent usually die en route to the hospital. He was given less than a 4 percent chance of survival. 

Shelby was in a coma for a month and remained at MVH for two months. The time was not without complications. Swelling raised Shelby's weight to 340 pounds. After the removal of his spleen, the swelling prevented organs from returning to their place in the abdomen. These were returned surgically and skin was grafted over the incision.

He was the first patient in Dayton to receive an endovascular graft for a ruptured aorta.  He was then transferred to Kendrick Nursing Home for a month and Dayton Rehab for a month. Afterward Carol cared for him at home. 

Shelby still shows improvement every day. His long-term memory is fine, but his short-term is a little fuzzy. He walks with a cane the 200 feet to the end of the driveway every day with Carol. He also can walk around the house without his cane.