Preparing for Surgery at Miami Valley Hospital
We are pleased you are interested in choosing Miami Valley Hospital for your surgery. We hope that the following information will help make your visit to Miami Valley Hospital a pleasant one.
On the Day of Surgery:
Before your surgery
- Please arrive at the MVH Surgery Center two hours prior to scheduled time of surgery.
- Notify your doctor of ANY change in your health such as a cold, sore throat, fever, any infection or a change in the problem for which you are having your surgery.
- Follow any instructions given to you by your doctor or surgeon.
Check with your doctor if you take any of the following medicines (your doctor may want you to stop taking them before surgery):
One week before surgery STOP taking:
- All herbal supplements
- Aleve, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, or other asprin containing medicines (Tylenol is okay)
- Vitamins (unless you are a gastric bypass patient then please follow your doctor’s instructions).
Night before your surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight-including no mints, gum, chewable antacids, or chewing tobacco
- Take your usual dose of evening insulin or blood sugar medicines
- Take a bath or shower night before or day of surgery to prevent infection
Day of surgery:
- Do not take insulin or any diabetic medicine unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- ONLY take these medicines with a tiny sip of water
- Use no make-up or nail polish
- Wear comfortable clothes that will not be tight in the area of your surgery
- Leave all valuables and jewelry (including all body piercing jewelry) at home
- If you use a CPAP machine, please bring it with you to wear after your surgery
- Bring all advance directive papers including Living Will and/or Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare
- Please bring your insurance cards, photo ID, and co-pay or out of pocket expense
- Park in the surgery garage off Wyoming St. unless otherwise instructed
- Check in at the second floor surgery waiting room desk
- If you are 17 years old or younger, a parent or guardian must come with you
After your Outpatient Surgery:
- You must have an adult drive you home
- You must have a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours after your surgery
Questions or concerns:
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding your procedure, contact your surgeon as soon as possible
- If you have questions regarding your Pre-Admission Testing, please call us 937.208.4840 (nurse line) or 937.208.4880 (information line).
- You may also visit us online
What do I do next?