Karen Blocher was cooking breakfast in their camper August 15, 2008. Unbeknownst to her, there was a gas leak under the camper and when she lit the stove there was an explosion. Karen, her husband and grandson were all badly burned but Karen definitely took the brunt of the explosion. Karen and her husband were CareFlighted to Miami Valley Hospital (MVH) where Karen was immediately transported to the burn unit.
Karen was sedated the first month at MVH because of the intense pain. Her second month at MVH was spent in the inpatient rehabilitation unit. When she arrived there she was not able to do anything for herself. The staff told her they would have her walking in two weeks. Karen was skeptical. “I was so weak from being in bed for two months.” Persistence on the part of the staff and Karen paid off . . . she was able to walk with a walker in two weeks.
Karen continued with therapy at CORP (Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Program) along with hand therapy through March. Karen’s progress was enhanced by a friendly, knowledgeable staff. Karen’s hands and arms were severely burned and the hand therapy helped her immensely. “The staff seemed to be understanding of my discomfort. They were right there. They tried to stay ahead of any pain that I might have encountered.”