Pain Rehabilitation at ProWork
If you have had unrelenting pain for more than three months, then it is time to take on the pain so you can enjoy life more fully.
The ProWork Pain Rehabilitation Program at the Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio (RIO) has the region’s only comprehensive and multidisciplinary program for the diagnosis and treatment of pain. Our program is the only CARF-accredited Chronic Pain Rehabilitation Program in the Dayton area.
Who Benefits from the Pain Rehabilitation Program at ProWork?
- People who have had pain more than three months
- People who are candidates for surgery
- People who want to avoid surgery
- People who want to reduce the need for pain medication
- People who are deconditioned
- People who have activity intolerance as a result of pain
- People who want to increase their strength, mobility, and/or stamina
- People who want to decrease their stress levels, anxiety or depression
- People who wish to regain their former lifestyles
Whether it’s from illness, injury or simply aging, the Pain Rehabilitation Program at ProWork can help you live with less pain. Effective treatment is available for a wide variety of pain conditions including:
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Herniated disc disease
- Ischemic limb disease
- Leg pain
- Pain in the back, head, neck, limbs and extremities
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Reynaud’s syndrome
- Severe or acute trauma
- Spinal stenosis
- Long term surgical pain
We offer a full range of treatment options to help manage and reduce pain, decrease stress, develop coping skills and improve function.
Treatment may include:
- Medication management – a full evaluation, with recommendations to the referring physician
- Physical therapy – to build strength, flexibility and endurance
- Water therapy in a warm pool, for muscle relaxation, better circulation and a lessened sensation of gravity
- Occupational therapy – to improve body mechanics for greater ease in accomplishing routine activities
- Psychological counseling – to address the effects of pain on stress, anxiety, sleep, relationships and lifestyle
- Vocational counseling – to help with questions about returning to work or other activities, and to point out other community resources
- Relaxation techniques – that fit into everyday life
A Team Approach to Individualized Care
At RIO, the best solutions to persistent pain are considered to be non-narcotic, and our program is tailored for those who either are not candidates for surgery or simply don’t want it.
We use a comprehensive approach to your pain management. Our program has an interdisciplinary team that works together to assess and treat your pain. Your care team has specialized training in pain management and includes a:
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Vocational counselor
This team helps you reduce stress, increase coping abilities, strengthen function and minimize the effect of pain in your life. The team’s assessment takes into account your physical and psychological condition, pain tolerance and lifestyle expectations. From this analysis, the team works closely with you and your family, to develop and implement a personalized care program.
What do I do next?