Wheelchair and Adaptive Seating Clinic
Wheelchair use can be more involved than it might seem at first. A variety of factors affect safety and comfort. We offer a regularly scheduled Wheelchair Clinic—a set of services designed to help you have the greatest mobility possible both at home and wherever you go in the community.
Our clinic at the Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio has been helping people gain independence for more than two decades and is certified by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities — specifically for its stroke and spinal cord injury programs.
Many situations may call for use of a wheelchair or other assist device. These include:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Spinal cord and other injuries
The RIO Wheelchair and Seating Clinic at Miami Valley Hospital will help you determine your needs and develop your skills. Services include:
- Comprehensive evaluation of how you move about at home and in public spaces
- A review to make sure you get the right device—such as a walking aid, a standard or specialty manual wheelchair, a scooter, or a power wheelchair—with any medical or other pertinent factors taken into consideration.
- Opportunities to try different types of equipment at the clinic or even at home, to be sure it meets your needs
- An assessment of posture and balance to determine your best seating system, along with suggestions, if appropriate, for specific cushions
- Pressure mapping to choose the optimal cushion for comfort and skin protection
- Recommendations for any adjustments or modifications to make your chair better
Your clinic team includes licensed physical therapists, and wheelchair vendors.
What do I do next?