What to Expect During Your Breast Ultrasound
At Miami Valley Hospital, your physician may use a breast ultrasound to diagnose and treat medical conditions. A breast ultrasound is a noninvasive medical test that produces a picture of the internal structures of the breast.
During your breast ultrasound:
- You will lie on your back. The technologist will uncover the breast to be imaged and have you raise your arm and place your hand behind your head.
- A warm gel is applied on the breast to allow for proper contact of the transducer (the small hand-held part of the ultrasound equipment) with your skin.
- The Technologist will then move the transducer around the breast to view and take images as needed to evaluate the breast tissue.
- The Technologist will then review the images with the Radiologist to determine if any additional imaging is needed.
- Once all imaging has been obtained, the radiologist will provide you with your results of the examination.
Learn more about breast ultrasound at Miami Valley Hospital.
What do I do next?