Comprehensive Cancer Center
At the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Miami Valley Hospital South (MVHS), you’ll find a team of experts with the experience of many cancer journeys. Our goal is to arm you with the information to choose the best direction for your care…and the resources to battle cancer with confidence close to home.
A Whole Building Filled with Hope
The five-story, 93,000 square foot Comprehensive Cancer Center brings together all the resources for fighting many types of cancer. The center’s design promotes seamless flow throughout the many care providers, and each feature of the cancer center has been designed to promote healing.
Some of the highlights of this building filled with hope are:
- Personalized Care from Our Physician Partners – Over 50 physicians specializing in many types of cancer develop and oversee treatment plans for patients.
- Individualized Care Management – Many patients are assigned a nurse navigator who serves as a guide through each step of their specific treatment and recovery plan. A genetic counselor is available for patients and families with concerns about cancer risks.
- Medical Oncology Infusion Center – Patients having chemotherapy and other infusions receive their care in a bright, comfortable setting. The 14 treatment spaces in Medical Oncology and eight treatment spaces in the Gynecologic Oncology Center feature floor to ceiling windows offering restful views of the healing garden.
- Radiation Therapy with TrueBeam® - The Comprehensive Cancer Center features the area’s first TrueBeam linear accelerator, which delivers powerful cancer treatments with pinpoint accuracy. Such measured precision means higher doses of radiation can be delivered in a much shorter time. Some patients will be treated in as few as one to five sessions. The TrueBeam is the first of its kind in the Dayton area.
The cancer center offers medical oncology and chemotherapy, advanced radiation therapy, surgical oncology, gynecologic oncology, and a full range of diagnostic and treatment services, as well as guidance on cancer prevention. The cancer center eliminates the need for traveling to several locations for outpatient cancer care.
- Gynecologic Oncology Center – For more than 30 years, Miami Valley Hospital has offered specialized care for women with cancers of the uterus, ovary and related organs. Physicians with advanced education in treating female cancers guide all phases of care including surgery, infusion therapy, radiation therapy and recovery.
- High Risk Breast Cancer Center – Miami Valley Hospital’s High Risk Breast Cancer Center offers counseling, individualized screening and follow-up plans, and genetic evaluations for women at increased risk of breast cancer. The center’s team includes a certified nurse practitioner, certified genetic counselor, and a board certified surgeon.
- Liver Cancer Center of Ohio – Patients with liver tumors can consult with multiple physician specialists in a single visit to this specialized center, a unique service in the Dayton region. Individualized treatment plans may include innovative non-surgical treatments to shrink or destroy tumors.
- CompuNet Clinical Laboratories – Blood tests are common during cancer treatment and follow-up. CompuNet’s lab inside the Comprehensive Cancer Center is staffed with technicians skilled in meeting the unique needs of cancer patients.
- Clinical Trials – In collaboration with Dayton Clinical Oncology Program (DCOP) , the Comprehensive Cancer Center can enlist its patients in clinical research trials when appropriate. DCOP maintains an active list of approximately 50 clinical trials, focusing on many forms of cancer.
- Inpatient Care at Miami Valley Hospital – MVH offers extensive resources for many forms of cancer surgery, including minimally invasive robotic procedures. Three nursing units, all with private rooms, are dedicated to the care of cancer patients and their families. The hospital’s Blood and Marrow Transplant program is unique in the region.
Learn more about our Services and Procedures.
Care for the Whole You
Complementary Medicine includes services to help patients manage symptoms of treatment and boost overall well-being. They are often referred to as “complementary” because they go hand-in-hand with standard medical therapies. Your physician can refer you to our social worker and dietitian using this referral form.
- Cancer Resource Center - Offers information on cancer diagnosis, treatment and recovery for patients, families and caregivers.
- Patient Resource Navigator – A full-time patient resource navigator, provided in collaboration with the American Cancer Society, is available to help patients deal with non-clinical issues such as transportation and financial needs.
- Licensed social worker – Assists patients and their loved ones through referrals for counseling, financial and legal assistance.
- Pastoral Care Staff – Offers prayer, support, and presence throughout the healing journey. They are available for people of all faiths and for those with no religious connection.
- Licensed clinical dietitian – Healthy nutrition is vital to recovery from cancer. The dietitian helps patients with individualized meal planning and solutions to loss of appetite, differences in taste, and nausea that may occur during treatment. Resources of home delivered meals based on the dietitian’s recommendations are also available.
- Education and support groups – These are conducted by qualified professionals from Miami Valley Hospital and other community agencies.
- Expressions of Hope, a Boutique for Women (Spring 2013) – Trained fitters will assist patients with the purchase of wigs, hats, head scarves, mastectomy bras and other apparel. The boutique will also offer inspirational gift items.
- Wellness Center (Spring 2013) – The Wellness Center will offer patients a personalized progression of aerobic exercise and strength training under the direction of certified cancer exercise trainers.
Comprehensive Cancer Center Collaborators
Over 50 physicians along with other clinical, educational, and community partners provide expertise and services, including:
Maps and Directions
Download printable directions to Miami Valley Hospital South
DISCLAIMER: Miami Valley Hospital does not have any control over the content of third-party websites and neither endorses nor accepts any responsibility for the content, products, and services on or sold on these websites. The symbol indicates a third-party website.